Browse the Plays
- Experience Chronicled
- Allegoric or Metaphoric Representations
- Concentration and Extermination Camps
- Deniers and Denial
- Germany, Hitler and the Growth of Nazism
- European Jewry Before the Holocaust
- The Ghettos
- Righteous Gentiles
- Nazi War Crimes and Judgement
- Other Victims of Nazi Persecution
- Perpetrators, Bystanders and Collaborators
- Survivors and Subsequent Generations
- Theater During Holocaust
- Women and the Holocaust
- Experience Chronicled
- A Personal Welcome to the Holocaust Theater Catalog
- Honoring Elie and Marion Wiesel for Their Plays
- NJTF HTII becomes part of UM MILLER CENTER
- Theatrical Depictions of Survivor Stories
- NJTF Remembrance Readings Launched
- Online Women, Theatre, and the Holocaust Resource Handbook
- Almost Lost
- Press: From the Cleveland Jewish News
- Reference Books
The Third Wave
Author(s): Ron Jones & Joseph Robinette
The Third Wave is a true story about a high-school experiment in fascism that spiraled out of control. Set in 1967 in Palo Alto, California, during the Vietnam war, racial integration and social revolution, the play centers around a young, popular teacher, Ron Jones, and his world history class. When a student asks how so many people could be led to deny the Holocaust of World War II, Mr. Jones decides to demonstrate by giving his students an exercise in discipline not unlike that of a totalitarian society. To his surprise, the students delight in the order and power of that discipline and relinquish their freedom in favor of the prospect of supposed superiority over other students in the school. The class adopts the name "The Third Wave," and soon many others, even from neighboring schools, clamor to be part of the "elite" group.
Format: Full-length drama
Cast Size: 5-11M/8-14F
Running time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Notes:Original Source Material: “The Third Wave” experiment at Cubberley Senior High School, Palo Alto, CA in 1967, and the short story, Take as Directed, written by Ron Jones about the experience, published in 1976.
The experiment has also been the subject of several films and a novel.
For more information, see the author’s website: www.ronjoneswriter.com
Also, thewavehome.com is a resource created by Jones’ original Wave students.
Nationality of Author: U.S.
Original Language: English
Production Rights Holder: